The Scottish government has announced it will lift its ban on non-essential travel from Manchester and Salford.
The ban will come to an end on Tuesday night.
Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world
The decision comes following a dispute between First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham over the COVID rules, which came into effect on 21 June in response to rising cases of the Delta variant.
Mr Burnham said the measure was disproportionate and the Scottish government had behaved disrespectfully.
On the news of it lifting he said: “I had serious concerns about this travel ban and the way it was introduced and I have made these clear over recent days.
“I am grateful to the first minister and the Scottish government for listening and for the decision they have announced today.”
The Scottish government said the policy change was made following a review of the data.
It follows talks between the two sides which took place last week.
Travel restrictions on Bolton are also easing, but the rules for Blackburn and Darwen are staying in place.
Scotland’s health secretary, Humza Yousaf, said: “Nobody wants travel restrictions in place for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
“Placing restrictions on travel between Scotland and parts of northwest England was only taken after extremely careful consideration and analysis of data to help prevent the spread of variants of concern.
“Following a careful review of the data we have decided to ease travel arrangements between Scotland and Manchester, Salford and Bolton.
“However, the situation regarding Blackburn and Darwen will need to be closely monitored and will be reviewed again in a week’s time.”
Source: Read Full Article