Boy, 8, rushed to hospital after eating spiked cannabis sweets

Parents have been warned about the dangers of cannabis sweets after an eight-year-old boy was left seriously ill after consuming edibles.

The child is one of three children who needed hospital treatment in Bradford Royal Infirmary after consuming the super-potent confectionery which can be up to 50 times stronger than a joint.

West Yorkshire Police said their investigation established that the children had eaten sweets laced with THC – the psychoactive chemical in cannabis that causes intoxication over the weekend.

The trio of poisonings over the weekend sparked an urgent warning to parents in the area.

Police say they are investigating how the children obtained the drugs amid calls for action before the craze causes a tragedy.

Superintendent Richard Padwell, of Bradford District, said: "These incidents are obviously a real cause for concern.

"Although the children involved have recovered after hospital treatment, there were initially genuine concerns for the youngest child that we could have been looking at a tragic outcome.

"We have been aware of cannabis edibles being in circulation for some time, and our neighbourhood policing teams and other specialist officers have been actively targeting those involved in their supply, with arrest and seizures and investigations ongoing.

  • Puppy found with two broken legs after owner buried him alive in bin bag

For more stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

"These recent incidents where the health of children has been put at risk very starkly illustrate the dangers of this particular form of cannabis."

He went on: "These edibles are professionally packaged like popular brands of sweets which can make them appear attractive to children, yet they often contain a very high dose of THC, which means that people can feel very unwell very quickly.

"We would urge parents and carers to be vigilant that these items are in circulation in our communities and to recognise the risks and report any concerns or information to us."

  • Four heartbreaking little-known details of Princess Diana's funeral 24 years later

He added: "We are working with our partner agencies, including local schools, to raise awareness of the issue as part of our ongoing efforts to safeguard young people from the use of these and other drugs.

"At the same time, we will continue to proactively target those who are involved in the supply of these items and ensure they face the appropriate criminal penalties."

This incident is just the latest example of children left needing hospital treatment after consuming the potent form of the drug.

The edibles are often packaged to look like popular children's sweet brands and dealers have been targeting young people on social media, with deliveries made often within 24 hours.

Source: Read Full Article