Dad of boy missing since 2007 speaks as two arrested for kidnap and trafficking

The dad of a teenager missing since 2007 has said the arrests of two men in connection with the kidnapping have "intensified" an emotional time for the family.

Andrew Gosden went missing 14 years ago in one of the UK's most perplexing cold cases.

Detectives investigating the boy's disappearance announced on Tuesday that they had arrested two men, aged 45 and 38, on suspicion of kidnap and human trafficking.

Andrew, from South Yorkshire, was 14 when he left his home in Doncaster on a Friday morning, emptied his bank account of almost £200 and bought a one-way ticket to London.

He was last captured on CCTV emerging from Kings Cross station.

South Yorkshire police on Tuesday said two men were detained in London on December 8, with the help of officers from the Metropolitan police.

The older of the two suspects was also arrested for allegedly possessing indecent images of children.

Both have been released under investigation while inquiries continue.

Andrew's father Kevin Gosden said the family had been informed about the arrests, but had not shared the information so as not to "prejudice the investigations being carried out in any way".

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

In a statement posted to Twitter, he said the family had "carried the burden of not knowing for many years" and that the recent arrests "represents a more intensified period of this emotional journey".

He wrote: "We cannot add to the information in the public domain, but would like to thank the media, general public and the charity Missing People for their support at this time and over the past years for answers about what happened to Andrew."

Andrew's disappearance on September 14 2007 became one of the country's most high-profile missing persons cases.

Police were not able to trace any of the boy's movements after he was captured on CCTV at Kings Cross, but his family campaigned to keep their son in the public consciousness and to help the families of other missing people.

They commissioned their own searches, including a sonar scan of the Thames, and issued images showing how he may have looked as he grew older.

When Andrew went missing he was 5ft 3in, slim with light brown hair, with brown eyes and strong prescription glasses.

He would now be 28, but his family have said he could be easily identified by an unusual double ridge on his right ear.

DI Andy Knowles from South Yorkshire police, said: "Our priority at this time is supporting Andrew's family while we work through this new line of inquiry in the investigation.

"We are in close contact with them and they ask that their privacy is respected as our investigation continues.

"We have made numerous appeals over the years to find out where Andrew is and what happened to him when he disappeared. I would encourage anyone with any information they have not yet reported to come forward."

Source: Read Full Article