A venomous snake sank its teeth into the neck of a dog forcing it into an overnight animal hospital stay.
Vets in Scotland posted an urgent warning last week about the dangers of adders lurking in popular walking sites after a pet fell victim to one's deadly bite.
Bearsden-based vet Glenbrae Veterinary Clinics shared a Facebook status accompanied by a picture of the offending snake.
According to the post, the dog and owner were enjoying a walk in Burncrooks Reservoir, a popular walking area north of Milngavie when a reptile pounced and fear set in.
The dog went under care at an animal hospital to be monitored overnight and was said last Thursday (May 19) to be doing "okay".
The vets post read: "Hi folks, be aware of Adders up at Burncrooks Reservoir. This afternoon my dog got bitten on the neck, whilst we were walking on the pathway up near to the angling club building.
"Knowing very little about snakes I didn’t realise the immediate risk, however these are the only venomous snakes in the UK and harmful to people and pets if bitten.
"Our wee dog is now being monitored overnight at the Animal Hospital and is thankfully doing ok so far. If you see one of these please avoid!"
According to the Wildlife Trust, the adder is the UK's only venomous snake and prefers woodland, heathland and moorland habitats.
Dad wrestles with 12ft 'monster' shark as fishing trip with son becomes sea battle
Sam, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, was bitten by an adder while on a walk in the Gower region of South Wales and spent three days fighting for his life.
He thankfully went on to recover but with a £3,500 bill, owner Charlotte wanted to warn other dog-owners amid a growing number of similar incidents.
One such scare cost dog owner Paula £1,000 in anti-venom after a snake bite sent her Koda crashing to the ground in eerie silence.
Paula was walking with her daughter Amy and their two dogs Koda and Willow in Northumberland National Park last month when an adder struck.
For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Mum Paula thought it was nothing more than a near miss when Koda hit the deck and rolled over in silence.
As they continued their walk however the two-year-old Vizsla's face became increasingly swollen in a dog walk of nightmares.
Fortunately Paula was prepared with an adder pack but it proved not to be enough as to save Koda completely a vet broke the news that anti-venom alone could be up to £1,000 per vial.
Paula said: "I was just relieved that there was an anti-venom available, and that we had the money in savings – we didn't care how much it was."
Source: Read Full Article