Flesh-eating superbug ate nan’s face leaving her needing a nose job

A grandmother had to have two nose operations after a superbug caused a flesh-eating infection to eat away at her face.

Maria Sholder, 48, from Sunderland, has MRSA after she fell and hit her nose on a door handle in January 2019.

The condition caused her to "cry in pain," she told Chronicle Live.

Maria went to hospital where medical staff applied Steri-strips but soon after her nose became infected.

MRSA is a type of bacteria that's resistant to several widely used antibiotics and can go on to cause severe infections.

The bacteria can live harmlessly on the skin of around 1 in 30 people, usually in the nose, armpits, or groin, and it's believed Maria was a carrier of the bacteria.

The mum-of-three, who worked for the NHS in the medical records department, developed a flesh-eating infection that caused her nose to completely collapse.

She explained: "I started hearing a whistling through my nose and I thought: 'What is that?'

"When I looked I saw a little hole but by the time I got seen by a doctor it was the size of half a pence and then it just kept getting bigger.

"Eventually it pierced through my septum. The hole just got bigger and bigger. The pain was absolutely horrific when it was rotting away, I was crying in pain.

"It basically just ate away at the flesh."

Maria has since had two nose operations but it has recently collapsed again although not as severely as previous times.

For the latest breaking news and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Since then Maria has been in and out of hospital with countless infections – but it was only in October 2020 she find out she had MRSA.

Maria was told the MRSA lay dormant on her skin for some time- but once there is an open wound, the bacteria gets into the body and doctors no longer know where the MRSA is.

The grandmother-of-five explained: "If it gets in an open wound it can cause infections or abscesses.

"I felt like no one was listening to me I was constantly in hospital. I just wanted to know what was wrong. I've been told it was lots of different things, even the menopause."

Maria's life is now completely bound by her poor health and has adapted her diet to lower the risk of infection.

MRSA can be transferred if you touch someone who has it, share things like towels, sheets, and clothes with someone who has MRSA on their skin, or touch surfaces or objects that have MRSA on them.

It can be removed from the skin with an antibacterial cream or an antibacterial shampoo but if you get an infection, you'll usually be treated with antibiotics that work against MRSA.

This means Maria constantly disinfects her house and uses antibacterial body wash and hand sanitiser religiously to protect loved ones.

She said: "I had my own business, my own house and now I have nothing, it's so frustrating. But I get by, I just take every day as it comes.

"I love seeing my grandkids but I have to be careful around them too.

"It's highly contagious so I bleach my whole house, I use hand sanitiser everywhere and I use the antibacterial body wash."

Maria now wants antibacterial wash and nasal spray to be more widely-used adding: "It's a really simple thing but it's something that helps get rid of MRSA."

Source: Read Full Article