Grim warning to parents as two kids start vomiting blood after beauty spot swim

A dad has fired a grim warning to other parents about something "lurking in the water" after his two children were rushed to hospital after vomiting blood following a beauty spot swim.

Lewis McElhatton, 13, and his 11-year-old sister Kiera started projectile vomiting when they got home after spending a day out at Mag Brook, Honley, with around 20 school friends.

Their dad Kieron McElhatton took the kids to A&E at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for treatment, following advice after calling 111.

READ MORE: University students performed naked hazing dance ritual in front of women

He said his children were allowed home but then took a turn for the worse and blood was in their vomit.

Kieron's children weren't the only ones affected as two of the other children had also fallen poorly, with the number expected to rise.

The 42-year-old, from Newsome, said: "It was a shock, they were both really poorly and it's a bit scary.

"A doctor is coming out to check on them today as there is a risk of dehydration.

"They won't be going back to the dam for sure and I would warn other parents and anyone else thinking of going there for a swim.

"It's a shame because it is a really nice spot and everyone had been having a good time after finishing the school term a couple of days ago."

  • Bullet pulled from 'miracle' monkey's body after it was attacked by pack of stray dogs

"There's definitely something lurking in the water," added Kieron.

"Our children are really ill and currently bed-bound.

"It was about two hours after they came home and started throwing up and couldn't keep anything down.

"I am waiting to hear if any of their friends have been affected too.

"I am now looking at taking them back to A&E as we've noticed there is some blood in their vomit, so it's quite worrying."

Medics diagnosed Weil's disease, a form of leptospirosis that is contracted from the urine of infected rats.

The bacteria gets into your body through cuts and scratches or through the lining of the mouth, throat and eyes after contact with infected urine or contaminated water.

The disease starts with flu-like symptoms such as a headache or muscle pains.

More severe cases can lead to meningitis, kidney failure, and other serious conditions.

In rare cases, the disease can be fatal.

Magdale Fields and Dam is a conservation area owned and managed by Honley Village Community Trust.

Trustee, Steve Hemming, who has lived in the area for 20 years, said: "Mag Brook is an area where in hot weather children and adults can enjoy themselves in the water.

"I wouldn't go in it myself but historically, it has been used as a bathing area for 50 to 100 years.

"Obviously, I am very concerned.

"Mag Brook runs through our property but we are not responsible for the condition of the water.

"Clearly people need to be aware of the risks.

"Weil's disease is a serious illness and it must be awful for the parents concerned."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


  • Parent fumes as school send kids home on hottest day of the year over uniform code

  • Students spend 40 hours a week on their laptops – for coursework, classes, and gaming

  • Primary school teacher banned after offering sexual services with raunchy pics

  • Inside the grotty rat-infested cafe with droppings all over the kitchen

  • Furious residents 'left to rot' in mould-infested block where mice fall from ceiling

Source: Read Full Article