Harry and Meghan warned over huge investment they likely wont benefit from

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been warned they will gain little from their massive investment into their official UK residence.

The couple returned the £2.4m cost of the Frogmore Cottage facelift in 2020, according to the newly published Sovereign Grant Report which lists all royal incomings and outgoings.

That means Harry and Meghan were left shouldering the cost of a renovation they likely won't ever benefit from.

ABC royal contributor and HeirPod host Omar Scobie said: "The Sussexes as well as returning £2.4m also paid their rent at the property until March 2022.

"Because although they did pay for the refurbishment they don't technically own the property.

"I'm not sure how great that is as an investment.

"Generally, with rental properties, you don't want to spend too much because someone else is going to benefit from it."

Omid added big investments in rented properties are always risky as the benefits will be felt by the owner in the long run.

But Harry and Meghan saved the Queen a lot of bother by returning the £2.4m Frogmore fund.

  • Bake Off's Sue Perkins splits from Naked Attraction's Anna Richardson

The monarch was forced to plug a £10m-sized gap in the royal finances after the coronavirus pandemic forced the sovereign's households to close to tourists.

Harry and Meghan's returned millions made those savings possible with minimum disruption, including possible redundancies.

Omid said: "She was saved by a small amount after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex agreed to return the £2.4million that had been spent on Frogmore.

"So the Queen's Treasurer said that that substantial sum had 'partially offset' some of the financial pain caused by the fall in revenues."

Other highlights of the grant report included the striking revelation that Prince Charles personally supported Harry and Meghan's "transition" out of the UK with a major cash donation.

Harry accused the Prince of Wales of "cutting him off" shortly after they left the UK during the infamous Oprah interview.

But Charles later atoned by giving the Sussexes a big one-off sum.

A Clarence House spokesperson told the press it was to support the Sussexes' move toward financial freedom.

They said: "As we'll all remember in January 2020 when the Duke and Duchess announced that they were going to move away from the working royal family, the Duke said that they would work towards becoming financially independent.

"The Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum to support them with this transition."

Harry returned to the UK this week to attend the unveiling of a statue of his late mother Princess Diana.

After quarantining at Frogmore Cottage the prince will attend the Kensington Palace event on Thursday.

It will be followed by "private talks" between the Duke of Sussex and his brother Prince William, in a positive sign for the brothers' reportedly tense relationship.

Source: Read Full Article