Joe Biden 'torn between forces on Saudi Arabia' says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
On Wednesday, 10 rockets hit a base which hosted US-led coalition forces in western Iraq. According to the US Department of Defense, a US civilian contractor died after suffering a heart attack while sheltering from the strike.
Last month, a similar incident in northern Iraq took place resulting in the death of a Filipino contractor and injury of a US service member.
Washington blamed the attack on Iran-backed Shia Militias and undertook its own air strikes on one of their facilities in Syria in retaliation.
US President Joe Biden said the strikes by his administration were used as a warning to Iran and its proxies.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki, said the US could possibly conduct a similar response to Wednesday’s attack in Iraq.
Speaking at a White House press briefing, Ms Psaki said: “We are still assessing the impact of this latest rocket attack including determining precise attribution, of course, they just happened over the course of last night.
“We responded to recent Iranian-backed attacks on coalition and US forces in a manner that was calculated, proportionate and fully covered by legal authorities.
“That will be our model moving forward.”
Ms Psaki added: “If we assess a further response is warranted, we will take action, again, in a manner and time of our choosing.
“And we reserve that option.”
The White House Press Secretary confirmed that Mr Biden has been briefed on Wednesday’s attack.
But she added that more information was needed to avoid a US response that might worsen the unstable situation.
Ms Psaki said: “What we won’t do is make a hasty or ill-informed decision that further escalates the decision.
“Or plays into the hands of our adversaries.”
Speaking at the White House on Wednesday after the attack in Iraq, Mr Biden said: “Thank God, no one was killed by the rocket– one individual, a contractor, died of a heart attack.
“But we’re identifying who is responsible and will make judgments from that point.”
Joe Biden becomes disoriented during Texas visit in concerning video [VIDEO]
Falklands row: Joe Biden’s ‘instinct’ deals huge blow to Argentina [UPDATE]
WW3 hotspots: Which conflicts are top priorities for Joe Biden? [INSIGHT]
The US strikes in Syria last week were in response to attacks at its bases in Iraq and was the first known American military action under Mr Biden’s new administration.
One group hit by the American strikes, the Iran-backed militia Kata’ib Hezbollah, said in a statement that it has the right to retaliate to the “barbaric aggression” that left one of its fighters dead.
Before Wednesday’s attack, US officials had hoped the strikes in Syria would end attacks on coalition forces.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said: “One of the things we were certainly hoping to achieve as a result of that strike was to deter future attacks by militia groups on our people, our facilities and our Iraqi partners, and we certainly hope that it has that effect.”
Source: Read Full Article