Mum can’t spend Mother’s Day with dying son as brother shows COVID-19 symptoms

A mum has been left devastated after being told she won't be able to spend Mother's Day with her son who has a terminal brain tumour – because her other boy has been told he has coronavirus.

Victoria Morrison, 30, is heartbroken at not being able to spend this Sunday with Kyle, eight, and must instead remain in isolation.

Confirmed cases of the new coronavirus have topped 200,000 worldwide, it was announced on Wednesday, as the death toll in the UK yesterday rose to 71.

Victoria's other son Tyler, two, came down with a soaring temperature and a cough last week, prompting her to call 111.

NHS professionals diagnosed Tyler over the phone and told Victoria to isolate with him for two weeks at their home in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.

They were told to stay away from Kyle however, whose diagnosis in September last year with a rare form of cancer makes him extremely vulnerable to the coronavirus.

While Tyler fights through his illness alongside Victoria, Kyle has gone to stay with his grandma.

It means the Andrew Lanes Primary School pupil, who doctors said had just a year to live, will not be able to spend what could be his last Mother's Day with his mum.

Victoria told Mirror Online: "I'm actually dreading this Mother's Day.

"As I'm talking about it now I well up because this could be my last with Kyle and that thought breaks my heart.

"It literally crushes it."

On September 11 last year Victoria Morrison dropped her son Kyle off at Andrew Lanes Primary School in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.

A few hours later she received a call from a staff member saying she had to come in and pick him up.

  • Top Brit holiday spot Sunny Beach has all trips banned over coronavirus pandemic

When Victoria arrived five minutes later she immediately knew something was seriously wrong.

"He was having a stroke," the mum explained.

"The right side of his face had dropped. The eye and the corner of his mouth was drooping. It was really noticeable."

The Lego fanatic was convinced that he was fine, but doctors at the Lister Hospital near Stevenage disagreed with Kyle's diagnosis and made him stay in overnight.

  • Drastic action needed or coronavirus will 'overwhelm NHS', says PM

The next morning he was put through an MRI scanner and by the afternoon the results were in.

"I got called into the room and got given the news that he had a tumour," Victoria explained.

"I was quite blunt. I knew it was going to be a stroke, brain tumour or blood on the brain.

"I said 'tell me now which one is it' and the doctor did."

  • Homeowners offered three month mortgage holiday as coronavirus outbreak grips UK

Kyle and Victoria were raced to Addenbrooke Hospital in Cambridge where doctors carried out further tests.

What they discovered turned a traumatic day into a devastating one for the Morrison family.

Kyle had a diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG) tumor.

While brain tumor sufferers in the UK do not have a great prognosis – with only 15% living five years after diagnosis – significantly less than one in 100 DIPG sufferers survive for five years.

  • Coronavirus emergency law proposals published by the Government

Most children die within one to four months.

So far Kyle has been living with the tumour for at last six months and is doing surprisingly well.

Victoria said: "He's absolutely fantastic. I was expecting him to go downhill quite quickly, but he's getting better.

"In January he had an MRI and the doctors said the tumour had shrunk.

  • Sex workers struggle as deadly coronavirus hits their profits

"No one can tell me what his life expectancy is now. Some have said eight to 12 months. I have a feeling in my gut he will make it to 12 months."

Although Kyle has not been told that he is terminally ill, hundreds of people count themselves amongst his supporters.

With the help of generously donated funds Kyle, Tyler and Victoria flew out to Lapland over Christmas.

"He couldn't understand why he was getting all these gifts," the mum said.

  • Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'feel immense relief’ at leaving the UK

"When we flew out there was a big inflatable Santa sitting on his seat and at the hotel he got a present every day.

"The only day he was poorly was on Christmas Day, which meant he couldn't meet Santa.

"Father Christmas video-called him while he lay in bed instead."

Before she went into isolation, Victoria made sure Kyle had as much fun as possible with trips out to the zoo and his local soft play zone.

In her spare time she has spearheaded a campaign to raise £350,000 for experimental treatment in Seattle.

While DIPG has no known cure, the radical therapy – in which doctors take stem cells from the spine and inject them into the tumour – has successfully beaten similar cancers before.

Victoria plans to continue fundraising from isolation and once she is allowed out, but for now she's stuck at home, wishing she could spend what could be his last Mother's Day with her boy.

To donate to Kyle's fund, click here.

Source: Read Full Article