Prince William has ensured safe passage to the UK for an Afghan soldier that he knew from Sandhurst, along with his family.
The Duke of Cambridge heard about the difficult situation that the former cadet was facing, struggling to get safe passage out of the country as it fell to the Taliban last month.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Prince William proceeded to ask his equerry, Naval Officer Rob Dixon, to make some calls on his behalf.
Lieutenant Commander Dixon successfully contacted the relevant personnel and the officer along with his family group of more than 10 – comprising of several women and children – was allowed to board a flight to the UK.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
The Afghan officer had been integral to the British operation in Afghanistan and had worked closely with British troops, which meant he and his family were in a particularly vulnerable situation following the Taliban’s takeover.
They were eligible to leave the country but were unable to due to the chaotic scenes on the ground.
Commissioning officers, along with soldiers on the ground, are understood to have been aware of the Duke’s intervention.
Major Andrew Fox, a former paratrooper who served three tours of Afghanistan and has been helping to evacuate interpreters, praised his actions.
He said: "It’s fully in line with what we get taught in the Army in terms of values, loyalty, respect for others, all that good stuff. We're trained to help where we can.
"I myself got 2 Para to rush out into the crowd and grab someone for me.
"The situation was so chaotic and was so, frankly, mismanaged, that people would do whatever they could to get out."
General Sir Richard Barrons, former commander of Joint Forces Command echoed this view and said: "It’s an entirely reasonable thing to do. What none of us did was demand that anybody be on the first plane out. We simply made sure that they were registered in the system."
He explained that there’s a bond between the Brits and Afghans who have trained and served alongside each other.
"There’s friendship and loyalty," he added.
"But in this instance, there was also a lack of clarity about whether people were or were not on the list. A lot of people didn’t know whether they were.
"It was an entirely reasonable thing to do, provided you didn’t demand to come out with 200 dogs."
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab was forced to defend Britain’s chaotic departure from Afghanistan, amid rumours he could face the sack as a result of the fiasco.
In an appearance before the foreign affairs select committee on Wednesday, September 1, Mr Raab admitted he could not put an exact figure on the number of British citizens and Afghans still stuck in the Asian country, despite being eligible for evacuation.
The most vulnerable of those who remain trapped include the interpreters who had worked for British and US forces, former Government officials, and security workers.
Raab admitted that some Afghans who guarded the British Embassy in Kabul did not get out because of problems getting on the bus to the airport.
Earlier this week, the UK and the US officially ended their military presence in Afghanistan, with the final US troops flying out from Kabul’s airport after two decades of war.
The RAF made its last evacuation flight on Sunday, August 29, to give American forces enough time to clear the ground ahead of the deadline set by Joe Biden.
Source: Read Full Article