Thug left man taking meals through a straw after curry house hammer attack

A man who launched a vicious hammer attack at someone who was trying to break up a fight has been sentenced to three years and nine months in jail.

John Paul Grimshaw, 32, left his victim with a badly fractured jaw after striking him with a lump hammer outside Mister Ali’s Tandoori Restaurant in Bury on July 4 last year.

Grimshaw, a dad from Blackley, Greater Manchester, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm at the city's Minshull Street court.

MirrorOnline reports that prior to the hammer attack, Grimshaw had been collecting a takeaway when he became involved in a dispute with a man inside the restaurant.

Three men, including the victim, then moved outside where the defendant was captured on CCTV throwing punches at one of the men.

The victim, a friend of the man being punched by Grimshaw, was trying to act as a peacemaker, the court was told.

"During the altercation, the complainant is trying to break up the parties," prosecutor Lisa Boocock said.

CCTV footage showed Grimshaw getting in a van and driving away from the scene of the altercation.

  • Angry mob beat man to death after hearing he gave pregnant girlfriend black eye

He then returned on foot from the other direction with an object in his pocket just over 12 minutes later.

Ms Boocock said that based on the width and weight of the item, the prosecution believe Grimshaw had armed himself with a lump hammer.

He then struck the victim in the face with hammer, leaving him with two fractures to his jaw.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Ms Boocock said: "The defendant hits [the victim] with the lump hammer to the face once.

"The defendant turns his attention to the [complainant's friend] and swings at him with the object, kicking at him with his legs. [The man] falls to the floor."

She went on: "The defendant then dropped the hammer and picked it up and continued to pursue him.

"As the footage comes to an end the defendant runs again at [the complainant]."

The victim required surgery on his jaw to repair the fractures, and could only take food through a straw for a number of weeks during his recovery.

Ms Boocock said that the 'revenge' element was an aggravating feature of the attack.

Michael James, defending, said that his client retaliated after being struck with a glass by the victim's friend inside the restaurant.

He said Grimshaw did accept that he had struck the victim with "an object".

Mr James continued: "His feeling at the time was that the complainant was not acting as peace-maker.

"He does say he was struck first with a glass. He was clearly very annoyed and upset about that. He attended hospital himself."

Sentencing, Recorder Jon Close said: "The victim did nothing wrong. He was the peacemaker.

"And you produced a hammer and you hit him in the face."

Grimshaw was jailed for three years and nine months and given a restraining order banning him from making any communication with the victim.

  • Instagram star and boyfriend charged with murdering man and shooting his pregnant lover

Source: Read Full Article