Young mum lucky to be alive after spiked drink in pub left her vomiting blood

A mother says she is "lucky to be alive" after her drink was spiked on a night out which left her vomiting blood and suffering from severe seizures.

Danielle Holmes, 26, from West Yorkshire, was enjoying a "quiet" evening in the pub with her friend Brooke Sharpe when she was unknowingly drugged on September 24.

The 26-year-old says her friend saved her life after she started fitting on a floor outside of a takeaway shop as their night was nearing to an end.

She was rushed to Harrogate District Hospital where doctors ran a series of tests to determine what had happened after she was left "locked" in her own body for several hours.

Danielle, who said she only had four drinks, believes she was spiked and has issued a warning for people to keep an eye on their drinks during a night out.

"Brooke saved my life. I could have quite easily gone straight home and that could have happened at home and nobody would have known," she said.

"When I was in hospital I had an out-of-body experience where I could hear everyone talking, panicking and rushing around trying to help me, but I couldn't actually move anything or give a response.

"I couldn't feel anything but I could just hear it, it was like I was locked in my own body but my body wasn't moving.

"I came around but I couldn't move my legs, arms or speak. I was just communicating through my eyes.

"The doctors were concerned about the lack of movement in my body with my legs and arms not being able to respond to pain.

"They were also worried I was going to go into cardiac arrest.

  • Durham fresher 'weed on' in sick rugby initiation as uni launches investigation

"Because of the severity of the seizures, they said I'm not allowed to drive for six months, just in case it happens again."

Danielle, who is studying to be a social worker, said the last thing she remembers was being sat in the pub "having a laugh'" with Brooke and ordering her final Coors Light of the evening.

"I'd finished university and my friend who is also my neighbour said 'do you want to go for a quick drink at the pub to get out of the house for a bit?', she added.

"We went out and were having a laugh just us two and we were in the same pub all night at the same table."

Danielle then said: "I ordered my last drink and said 'shall we go home because I feel quite drunk'.

"We went to go and get a takeaway and as soon as we got in there I said to my friend 'you need to ring an ambulance, I can't breathe. I'm going to die'.

"I went outside and waited on the step for her and she came out and I was throwing up blood and started having seizures on the floor.

"People were saying 'she's just drunk, she just needs to go home in a taxi, just take her home'.

"When they saw the blood they were like 'no, we need to ring an ambulance' and that's when I fully went unconscious."

Danielle regained movement in her arms and speech by 6.30 am but was unable to walk a few hours later.

She added: "I've still got the side effects of whatever I was spiked with and the stuff that happened in hospital – the chest pain and the shortness of breath.

"But psychologically I haven't been well since I got out of hospital. I just keep crying, have low moods [ as I'm ] not able to understand what happened and why it happened."

Have you got a story you want to tell? Contact us at [email protected]

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article